Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Gracias, Lempiras, Honduras - Town of Peace

Most tourists would follow the Lonely Planet route and make a brief stop at Gracias, a town around 2.5 hours away from Copán Ruinas. I reached Gracias on a Sunday afternoon. The first action I took was to replenish myself with a cup of Honduran cafe con leche at this two-level domed coffee house in the heart of the central park. That sort of westernized coffee house called Plaza café attracts many other tourists to take a panoramic view and mull the to-do list over. What I like Gracias the most is that you can easily access to different public Wifi within a short distance. The second thing I like the most about Gracias is that most hotels allow you to pay after. I walked around the entire town center looking for the cheapest hotel room. In the end, I accommodated myself at Hotel Colonial (about $9.5 USD/ 200 Lempiras per night for a private room and bath.) I pulled out my wallet and realized I barely had 270 Lempiras! So I thought I would still have 70 Lempiras for dinner after paying for hotel, but to my surprise they had no problem with me paying whenever I decide to check out. Instead of utilizing computer record, the business functions through Trust system. 

I would totally recommend customizing your own Pizza at Kafe Kandil. Melting cheese is strewn all over the surface! Yummmm...Mine was mushroom, spinach and tomato! ( about $12USD)

The old Churches are worth to be admired. 




This is the Coffee towel I was telling you about! 



I had this Pescado fritto for Lunch. Fried fish is quite typical in Honduras, especially in small towns.




Take a motor taxi to Fuerte san Cristóbal and have a bird's view of Gracias. 





La montaña Celaque is the highest mountain in Honduras where it is said to be a legend that on the very top of the mountain, one can feel the definition of Gracias (gratefulness) from inside and out. Unfortunately,  I did not have the right equipment to climb up the summit since it is more of a 2-day camping trip. But I caught a glimpse of its magnificence! 

These household jars of preserved food look like a exhibition of Art.



You are recommended to go to the local hot spring ( agua termales) too! It is only 30 Lempiras ( about $2 USD) for a luxurious warm-water immersion! Have Fun! See you in Dominican Republic next! 



No comments:

Post a Comment