Wednesday, March 18, 2015

19 hours in Florida




                                                   



I thought it was a real man


Defying Heraclitus's saying "no man ever steps in the same river twice", I changed my mind of resting in the airport before my next flight at 12am. I landed Fort Lauderdale, Florida at 5am. Originally, I intended to simply finish "The Great Gatsby" and touch up my Spanish before I took for Honduras, yet at 10 am, a surge of impulsion randomly hit me, and I decided to revisit the city.


I was in Fort Lauderdale exactly a year ago for Spring Break. It was quite an interesting story as I made an agreement with my Honduran friend, Brandon, who will be hosting me for my stay in Honduras to meet up in our mid-point, Miami. Tickets were bought, backpack was packed...on his departure day, however, he was held up in San Pedro Sula airport for some passport issue. Since my ticket was non-refundable, I just hopped on the plane without concerning about where to stay, what to do... I just merrily let destiny lead me.


I was boarding when I saw this good-looking boy (I was single at that time). But I restrained myself from looking at him because the possibility of sitting next to him was low since he was talking to some friends. As soon as I caught sight of my assigned seat and clumsily squeezed through the aisle, someone offered to lift my bag. And guess what! It was him! He sat next to me for the next 4 hours on the plane from LA to Fort Lauderdale. We talked until we reached. He invited me to crush nights at his house instead of roaming around the city aimlessly, especially because we landed at 5am. I believed in my people-reading skill, so I followed. For the next few days, we went to the beach, the mall, buffet, and watched a movie. The day he had work, I took the bus to city center and explored the city alone. That instant connection I made with this random person I'd just met on the plane was magical. I felt like I was in a romance movie. I also met up with a guy I met through CoachSurfing.com. We had fried chicken wings and beer (I was underage, but most places in Florida don't give a damn) at an open bar by the beach. Then he showed me the yacht he lived on. It was not a big yacht, yet it was comprehensive with stoves, bathroom, and bed all compacted in limited space. Looking back, this spontaneous 3-day trip was totally full of surprises and was one of the best!


This time, a kind stationed flight attendant gave me direction to spend my day. She wrote down information on my notebook and even gave me her personal phone number in case I get lost. I took the airport shuttle to terminal 1 and then I bought an all-day bus pass to get to central terminal. Surprisingly, I remembered the roads vividly as if I had been there several times! I walked to some local coffee shop in that area and did some paper work. In the midst of writing, my one and only pen ran out of ink. I scribbled so hard. I blew air to the ball of the pen. Nothing worked.The moment I declared its death certification and was about to move on to reading, a woman in line handed me a pen and said "hope it works". I was so touched that a random stranger cared. How much is a pen worth? Probably 99cent, but in that helpless instant of mine, that pen was worth my happiness as it made my day and I could continue my work smoothly. Trivial good deed matters! Later on, I walked along Las Olas Blvd. I particularly liked the European style self-help bike rental station in the middle of the street full of restaurant bars. How often can it be found in the States! Then I took bus 40 to Fort Lauderdale beach and took a nap by the ocean. By 6pm, my groaning stomach was demanding for some tacos as it was Taco Tuesday. I ate 3 amazing beef and chicken tacos at a Bar called Treasure Love for $3.



Same city center, same beach, same airport, but different feeling and experience. This place is definitely filled with caring and helpful people.

*Breakfast, lunch, dinner and bus pass for $20    

No comments:

Post a Comment