Thursday, March 19, 2015

¡Bienvendido a San Pedro Sula!

I was starting to get a little nervous before boarding only because the workers at LAX airport with whom I talked were shocked to the fact that I am going to Honduras alone. "It is very very dangerous!"said everyone. Besides, I was probably one of the only 10 non-hispanic people on the entire floor at the airport. Luckily, I made a new friend on the plane, a Honduran American. He hasn't been back for 7 years. The unnecessary worry eluded through the conversation with him as to certain extent, I believed we shared the same excitement and uncertainty over this country.

I was surprised that my $30 prepaid T-mobile number still worked in Honduras, so I was able to text my friend as soon as I reached. Frankly, the ramshackle airport at San Pedro Sula was quite eye-opening. Some yellow duct tape of the previously existed poster remained on the wall. The distance from the airplane runways to the exit is simply a 3-minute walk. There were only 3 simple check-out desks and 2 security guards. My old-time friend, Brandon and his father came pick me up at midnight. We had supper at Denny's (Can't believe they have Denny's here as well!) From the moment I stepped out of the airport, I was immersed in a Spanish-only environment. Well, I cheated a bit. With the presence of Brandon, we speak Italian since we met in Italy when we were both high-school exchange students 3 years ago.  Every family member in this household is very friendly. I had a long chat with the mother the first afternoon we met. She told me that once upon a time during the heyday of Honduras, people could joyfully stroll around the city, but it was the politics that destroy such peace and security. The locals are afraid to walk on the street even for a few-minute walk. 


Honduras, though can be dangerous, is an amazing terrain for nature. There are 3 valuable Caribbean islands in Honduras: Roatán, Utila, Guanaja. Roatán is the second largest beef barrier on earth after Australian Great Barrier Reef. I have to visit Roatán at all cost! Trees and plants in Honduras are abundant in every corner. I have seen colorful birds freely searing around.



In Los Angeles, we have the f
amous hollywood sign up on the hill; in San Pedro Sula, we have the "coca cola" sign! 

 


San Pedro Sula airport 



Food in this household, or in fact, Latin cuisine is very healthy and nutritional. scramble egg and beef tacos and baked banana.




Normal adult banana finally found their long-lost babies!



I personally adore languages, so they are never the factors that hold me back from traveling to any places. I love to feel like a fresh newborn baby and enjoy the rocket-speed progression in a understanding a new language. I love to be forced out of the comfort zones and learn through daily application instead of sitting still in classrooms. My heart began to pound slightly faster when I entered the bank alone today to change currency. I kept repeating "Queria cambiar el dinero. (I would like to change money)" in my mind. I was afraid the bank teller and I would not be able to understand each other and I end up being ripped off. But I had no choice, so I did it! And it was satisfying. 
Indeed, I have never actually learned Spanish before. I only picked it up through hearing people talk here and there and self taught a little. But my fluency in Italian contributes to my ability to conduct basic conversation in Spanish. In Honduras, it is definitely recommended to have some basic Spanish skill. 



* Tip: For security reason, remember to call your bank and notify them you will be traveling before departure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment